Search This Blog
Popular Posts
-
Engagement, engagement, engagement. My brother Lee and I are web developers and entrepreneurs. We try to capitalize on every opportunity a...
-
Hello there! My blog post 'Spikes' was published on Sept. 22nd; however, the post before it called 'Flow' was published on...
-
Quick question: Do you know what IFC, The New York Post, The Walt Disney Company, and WNBA have in common? Ponder the answer for a momen...
-
Elegant Themes has been developing WordPress themes for a long time. It has developed lots of popular themes including Divi, Nexus, Fa...
-
League Table Premium WordPress Plugin makes it able to add in a successful manner customizable, and responsive tables to your Word...
-
Recently, WPZoom themes have released an all new WordPress theme named Academica Pro 3.0 and come with a responsive design means your site...
-
Amelia is a Premium WordPress Theme is Perfect for any Blog or Magazine.Theme has a unique design with a lot of options, that can help...
-
So you want to sell a product online. We think that's awesome! Now all that's left is to decide how. Lucky for you WordPress makes...
-
Choosing a WordPress theme is one of the most important steps when building your website. Should you go with a free theme or paid? WordP...
-
WordPress has evolved to be much more than just a blogging platform, from online stores to full-on business platforms, there is ve...
Blog Archive
- December (18)
- November (29)
- October (27)
- September (29)
- August (31)
- July (30)
- June (29)
- May (29)
- April (30)
- March (31)
- February (28)
- January (31)
- December (31)
- November (30)
- October (31)
- September (30)
- August (43)
- July (42)
- June (33)
- May (43)
- April (36)
- March (37)
- February (31)
- January (4)
- December (1)
- November (1)
- October (24)
- September (24)
- August (25)
- July (28)
- June (18)
- September (1)
Total Pageviews
Blogroll
What's the logic behind not letting people edit/delete their comments?
I just learned that Wordpress does not let you edit/delete your own comments in others' blogs. Why is this?
I accidentally posted a comment on a Wordpress blog with my email address attached to it, because in Wordpress the default Public Display Name is the email address used to create the account. I found this baffling - it was like having my phone number being set as my default Public Display Name. Why would an email address ever be used as default Public Display Name??Then I found out that I could not edit/delete the comment, which is now waiting for the blog owner's moderation. Link.
I can ask the blog owner to not publish the comment, but the person still has perfect freedom to publish and keep it, apparently.
Of course, all this wouldn't have happened if I had paid attention. But I do not understand why such risk should exist in the first place. What if someone accidentally posts a traceable / sensitive information in a comment? Why not let the person delet e it?
I understand that "Blog owners are in full control of the comments on their blogs" in Wordpress. But being able to delete someone else's comment is clearly different from being able to keep it.
Then I vaguely remembered that some other post/comment systems also had similar "unable to delete" policy, and started to wonder about possible reasons behind it. I cannot think that it would save cost or the companies are out to get careless people like me. Any idea?
Source: What's the logic behind not letting people edit/delete their comments?
0 comments:
Post a Comment